Artist Rendering Banner

Trafalgar Dock

The regeneration of Royal Pier and Mayflower Park includes the provision of new first class facilities for Red Funnel at Trafalgar Dock. The relocation of Red Funnel is the first phase of the regeneration of the wider area.

Red Funnel’s relocation to Trafalgar Dock is one of the transformative strategic projects being supported by the Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP). £15 million of central government funding is being secured through the Solent Growth Deal to transform and modernise the Red Funnel terminal facilities in Southampton and East Cowes.

The significant benefits that will be realised through this investment are:

    • Journey times access the Solent will be reduced

    • Capacity constraints at the existing site will be removed, with an new modern terminal building and more efficient loading areas

    • Connectivity with the Isle of Wight will be improved.

Trafalgar Dock is currently used largely for valet parking associated with Carnival Cruises, but has a long and interesting history. It was opened in 1905, named for the centenary of the Battle of Trafalgar, and was the largest dry dock built at that time. Later it was the location for the BOAC flying boat service. It contains a number of heritage features such as the pump house and pump, “dolphins” used to tether the floating dock, hand rails, bollards and the dock gate, and is currently the location of the Calshot Spit lightship and the MV Calshot Tug.

English Heritage and Southampton City Council have advised on the historic features that have to be retained and protected as well as those that can be removed, and a comprehensive set of heritage proposals will accompany the planning application.

The current programme envisages a planning application for Trafalgar Dock being submitted early in 2015, with an application for the wider area to be submitted later in the year.

Back to top